Wednesday, July 12, 2006

5 At Gibeon the Lord appeared to Solomon in a dream by night; and God
said, "Ask! What shall I give you?"
...
9 Therefore give to Your servant an understanding heart to judge Your
people, that I may discern between good and evil. For who is able to judge this
great people of Yours?" 10 The speech pleased the Lord, that Solomon had
asked this thing. 11 Then God said to him: "Because you have asked this
thing, and have not asked long life for yourself, nor have asked riches for
yourself, nor have asked the life of your enemies, but have asked for yourself
understanding to discern justice, 12 behold, I have done according to your
words; see, I have given you a wise and understanding heart, so that there has
not been anyone like you before you, nor shall any like you arise after you.

13 And I have also given you what you have not asked: both riches and
honor, so that there shall not be anyone like you among the kings all your days.
14 So if you walk in My ways, to keep My statutes and My commandments, as
your father David walked, then I will lengthen your days."

Another verse came to mind when reading what Solomon asked of the Lord.

If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him. (Jam 1:5 KJVR)

God is well pleased at our requests to ask for wisdom, discernment of heart, understanding of justice. Is a lesson further reinforced into my heart. Is it possible that a God so great as ours is interested in giving a man wisdom in life and judgement of all things? I cannot begin to understand how God is interested in even this aspect of my life.

I used to think wisdom came with age(of course until I realise how some old people behave childishly). I used to think that wisdom came about faster for some people who were more observant and intelligent then others(until i met intelligent but foolish men).

Now I know all good wisdom is from above. From the LORD, who alone can give and is willing to give unabraidedly. Being well-pleased that we should even ask for wisdom above life and riches.


No comments: