Friday, December 02, 2005

December Hols are here!

Exams are over and Sunday School Camp is coming up in 2 days time.
Have to entrust my results in God's hands.. some papers were just plainly difficult.

Pray that I'll be given the right mind and right heart to be in Sunday School Camp. As assistant camp master, I really desire to do what God would have me do in this camp. Whilst now, I'm just feeling a sense of emptiness and perhaps lostness. Many things to be done... Yet God is concerned about how I choose to do them each, and not that I simply get them done.

Is it not that "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me"(Phil4:13)? Yes, it is. It's God who gives purpose, meaning and fulfillment to the works of my hand. And I will do my works to the best of my might(Ecc9:10).

Watched Saw II with friends today. Grostesque and horror films aren't my liking and this is particularly grostesque. If you watched it and did not find it particularly grosteque, then the world has succeeded in desensitizing you to violence and gore. The very instinct that makes us squirm, fidget and want to shut our eyes when we see violence, gore and other disturbing images flash before our eyes is what has been wired into us, helping us to differentiate what is good and what isn't. It's also a warning, indicating danger for us. Some people may find my opinions particularly extreme, but just look at the desensitized world out there. When 9/11 struck and the world had images of violence plastered all over their tv screens, how many had commented in curiousity "wow... this looks like a movie", before it even occured to feel pity and disgust? I know I was more curious then shock, and pity and disgust came much later then it should.

We ought to be good stewards for God with our minds and perspectives too. I hope that years later I'll still squirm at violence, bloodshed(and not see it as theatrics) and psychotic serial killers. On an added note, yes, I hope I'll be shy about sexual imagery thown about at me everyday and to mention even the word "sex". We seem to have traded our shyness for unfounded boldness and desensitized our minds to sex, as something that has found it's way to casual talk with every television drama and movie flashing a scene or two of suggested pre-marital sex(on this point saw 2 din have any, amazingly).

What to watch, listen, think and do then?

8Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.
~Philippians 4:8

No comments: