Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Here I am, Lord.

Tonight an old sweet hymn came back in my mind. A hymn that spoke of the faith of generations past, of men of great faith, of God's blessing far stewn along the way and a desire to be found faithful amongst a cloud of unseen witnesses who represent generations gone by.

Our Father, by whose servants,
Our School was built of old,
Whose hand has crowned Thy children,
With blessings manifold;
For Thy unfailing mercies,
Far strewn along our way,
With all who passed before us,
We praise Thy name today.

They reaped not where they laboured,
We reap what they have sown;
Our harvest may be garnered,
By ages yet unknown.
The days of old have dowered us
With gifts beyond all praise,
Our Father make us faithful
To serve the coming days.

Before us and beside us,
Still holden by Thy hand,
A cloud of unseen witness,
Our elder comrades stand;
One family unbroken,
We join in one acclaim;
One heart, one voice uplifting
To glorify Thy name.



One family of Saints. in one acclaim and one voice uplifting pursuing a single vision of glorifying the name of God. Well, if you've rightly guessed, this is Saint Andrew's Junior College Hymn. Oh the height and the depth of meaning in this hymn. This hymn came to mind as I thought of the great cloud of witnesses of men and women of faith who have passed on to glory. As I'm studying the Kings and Prophets, I studied the unfaithful kings of Israel and some of the outstanding Kings of Judah who did right before the eyes of the Lord, who walked steadfast with the Lord, whose heart were entirely His and I cannot help but ask for a steadfast heart, boldness and courage to walk as the kings of Judah and not pursuing after things that seem right before mine own eyes.

"For the eyes of the LORD move to and fro throughout the earth that He may strongly support those whose heart is completely His. -2 Chron 16:9


God is looking and calling. May we be constantly found saying the same words as many great men of faith.

Now it came about after these things, that God tested Abraham, and said to him, " Abraham!" And he said, "Here I am." -Gen 22:1

God spoke to Israel in visions of the night and said, " Jacob, Jacob." And he said, "Here I am."-Gen46:12

When the LORD saw that he turned aside to look, God called to him from the midst of the bush and said, "Moses, Moses!" And he said, "Here I am." -Exo3:4

that the LORD called Samuel; and he said, " Here I am."-1Sam3:4

Then I heard the voice of the Lord, saying, "Whom shall I send, and who will go for Us?" Then I said, "Here am I. Send me!"-Isa6:8

"But if He should say thus, ' I have no delight in you,' behold, here I am, let Him do to me as seems good to Him."-2Sam15:26 (David speaking concerning finding favour with the Lord)

Now there was a disciple at Damascus named Ananias; and the Lord said to him in a vision, "Ananias." And he said, "Here I am, Lord."- Acts9:10


"Here I am. Send me!"

No comments: